One of the biggest questions since last month’s tragic death of 27-year-old actor Anton Yelchin has finally been answered. At least partially.
J.J. Abrams, who directed Yelchin as Pavel Chekov in the first two Star Trek movies in the reboot era and continues to serve as a producer in the franchise, told the Toronto Sun that he will not cast someone else to play the iconic role.
“I would say there’s no replacing him,” Abrams said. “There’s no recasting. I can’t possibly imagine that, and I think Anton deserves better.”
Yelchin died June 19 after his Jeep Grand Cherokee rolled in his driveway and pinned him to a security gate. He already had finished filming “Star Trek: Beyond,” and soon after family, friends and fans mourned the passing of the young actor.